Preparation time: 50min, cook 40/45mins, reading in 1hr 30m
You will need a Large oven-proof baking dish
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
1 aubergine, finely diced & salted for 15 mins
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 punnet mushrooms, cleaned and finely sliced
1 (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
300ml vegetable stock
Salt or herb seasoning
150g fresh spinach leaves, washed and chopped
Salt or herb seasoning
One box of lasagne sheets
Finely grated Parmesan
For the sauce, or you could use any lasagne cheese sauce such as Dolmio to save time.
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain flour
100g (3 1/2 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 190 degrees C / gas mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a large wok, then add the garlic, ginger, carrot, onion; sauté for 4-5 mins.
- Add the aubergine and peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes, constantly tossing them.
- Next, add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, stock and seasoning. Allow it to boil, reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach thoroughly and cook for a further 2 mins.
- If you choose to make your own sauce:
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir over a medium heat until it comes away from saucepan and forms a ball.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly pour in the milk, return to a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly (very important). Add the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste.
- Pour a third of the cheese sauce into the base of a large oven-proof baking dish. Cover with a third of the pasta, then half the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers using the vegetables and pasta.
- Finish by covering the top with the remaining sauce, making sure all pasta is covered.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake for 40-45 mins, or until the top is golden brown.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.